Sunday, January 10, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell


✭✭✭

ABOUT THE BOOK (from Amazon):

In this stunning new book, Malcolm Gladwell takes us on an intellectual journey through the world of "outliers"--the best and the brightest, the most famous and the most successful. He asks the question: what makes high-achievers different?

His answer is that we pay too much attention to what successful people are like, and too little attention to where they are from: that is, their culture, their family, their generation, and the idiosyncratic experiences of their upbringing. Along the way he explains the secrets of software billionaires, what it takes to be a great soccer player, why Asians are good at math, and what made the Beatles the greatest rock band.

Brilliant and entertaining, Outliers is a landmark work that will simultaneously delight and illuminate.

MY REVIEW:

Last year I read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.  In case you missed it, you can read my review of that book here.  I enjoyed Blink so much that after reading it I added all of Gladwell's other books to my "to read" list. I'm glad I did because I found Outliers equally as fascinating.

In Outliers, Gladwell dispels the myth of the "self-made man."  He shows how things like the timing of a person's birth, their background, culture, and other factors can contribute to one's success in ways that are often not immediately obvious. I found his research and stories to be very interesting.  Gladwell covers everything from professional hockey players to successful lawyers to Bill Gates and even the Beatles. He gives his readers a new perspective on how people come to be successful.

I highly recommend this book.