Sunday, February 13, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: Elmo's World: Love! by Kara McMahon


I'm not a big fan of these Elmo's World books.  I think most parents buy them when their kids are between the ages of 1 and 4, when Elmo is all the rage.  They are okay to read; the kids enjoy them, but my kids don't beg for them and I certainly don't push to read them over and over.  This one is a little more fun for younger listeners because of the "lift the flap" feature, but like the other Elmo's World books, the text is somewhat disjointed.  You can't just read it straight through.  There are little quotes and "side notes" throughout the book.  This is probably intentional for the reading age group, but as a mother of 3 (reading several books a night) I prefer to just read straight through a story and move on to the next rather than point and discuss different things on each page.  

I'm also not a huge believer in "fate," but there was just something about this book that made me feel like it was meant for my children.  The publication date is the exact day and year my oldest child was due to be born.  I discovered it about four years later when I bought it for my second child for Valentine's Day and gave it to him in the hospital after I had delivered by third child, my Valentine's Day baby - born February 13th, he's two-years-old today!  So, although it's not my favorite book, it certainly has meaning to me and the kids enjoy it, which is really all that matters.