Tuesday, November 23, 2010

BOOK REVIEW: Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak


I remember this book from when I was little, but didn't have it memorized until I started reading it to my kids...daily.  I have now read it so many times, I can probably tell the story page-by-page without glancing at the words once!

"Where the Wild Things Are" is the story of a boy who does something naughty, gets sent to his room and then begins imagining (or dreaming) a world where "Wild Things," or large roaring monsters with yellow eyes and sharp claws, roam.  This is where it gets fun to read with lots of emotion - rolling your eyes and showing your claws and roaring like a Wild Thing.  Max becomes KING of the wild things, but in the end he wants to go home, and when he does, the reader finds out that his mother (or father, who never appears in the story) still loves him despite his "wild" behavior.

This story is filled with emotion and is a lot of fun to read.  It holds the attention of my 18-month-old AND my 6-year-old. There is a section of pages where there are no words and the reader can fill in the story with their imagination.  My 3-year-old loved the story so much we planned a "Wild Things" birthday party for him where he got to be Max for the day!  As a parent, there's nothing better than a book you love to read that the kids love to hear, especially since you'll probably be reading it over and over and over...